For all sellers, this checklist of items that you will need to do before you move out of your home is invaluable. Following these tips will reduce the stress involved with selling your home and moving into a new one.
Selling Your Home ~ Time To Move!
So you are selling your home ~ Congratulations! Now it is time to prepare to move. There are so many things to do besides wrapping dishes and packing boxes! Here are some tips of things to think about as part of your moving checklist!
- Hiring A Moving Company ~ Interview a few different moving companies and get detailed estimates of each company. Understand their time frames, what they will and will not move and liability coverages in case of damage. Arrange this many weeks ahead of time to make sure there is availability.
- Renting a Moving Truck ~ If you are moving yourself, you will want to get quotes from a few different companies to make sure you are getting the best deal! Give yourself time to reserve a truck, you don't want to wait until the last minute and be without!
- Moving Expenses ~ Keep track of your moving expenses, as some of them may be tax deductible!
- School Records~ make sure your children's school records will be transferred to the new school
- Veterinary Records ~ Fido is still part of the family during this move, don't forget to get these records for your new vet!
- Doctor and Dental Records ~ you may not be movingfar, but having a dentist or doctor in the neighborhood you live in versus driving across the city may be more convenient
- Perishables ~ As you get closer to moving, you will want to start using up the things that are not easily moved like frozen foods
- Change of Address ~ Not only does the Post Office need a change of address, but don't forget things like magazine subscriptions, bank accounts, friends and family
- Dispose of flammables, corrosives and poisons ~ Items like motor oil, paint, bleach and certain household cleaners are not items that can be picked up by trash services. They are also not something movers will move. Make arrangements for disposal of these items prior to moving day!
- Valuables ~ Determine if there are items that may be better off moving in your car versus with the moving company or in the truck. If there are items that are too large to travel with you like antiques, make sure you photograph them in their present condition and perhaps have them appraised in case of damage caused during your move.
- Safe Deposit Box ~ Don't forget about this one! You will probably want one closer to your new home so don't forget to empty and close the one you have now.
- Plants ~ Often times a moving company will not move plants. Determine if you will be taking them with you in a car or find them a new home
- Have a Yard Sale ~ We all accumulate "stuff". Does it all really need to move with you? Why not have a yard sale and earn the money to pay for the movers! Or at least the beer and pizza for your friends you have asked bribed to help you. Anything left over, make arrangements for donation to your local charity
- Utilities ~ make sure you have arranged for shut off of the services at your present residence and TURN ON services for you new place!
- Storage~ If you need storage for any items, make sure you plan ahead of time to assure availability
- Insurance~ contact your insurance carrier to arrange coverage for the new place as well as cancellation on the current place. Ask about what type of moving coverages you may have
- Power equipment and tools ~ make sure the lawn mower, weed eater, chainsaw and anything else that requires gas has been drained of oil and gasoline. It would not be pretty to see a great big oil stain on your comfy couch!
- Necessities~ Make sure you have set aside toiletries, shower supplies, clothes that will be easily accessible for when you get to the new home
Moving day will be here before you know it! Days before the move call to confirm the time the moving company will arrive or scheduled pick up of the truck. You may want to arrange for child and pet care for the day your move is scheduled. There will be a lot of activity and excitement. Be sure you are present to answer any questions the movers may have or to direct the move. Be sure to be prepared with cash to pay the movers.
Once everything has been taken from the house, be sure and do a walk through to ensure you have not missed anything; check the attic and storage closets. Take a quick note of the meter readings for gas, electric and water to assure you are not over charged. Take some time, remember the fond memories and off you go! On to your NEW HOME!
Making the Home of Your Dreams A Reality. As your Agent of Possibibility it is my intent to make your home buying or selling process a smooth one!
Please feel free to subscribe to my blog or contact me at 619-838-4408.
Courtesy of William James Walton, Sr. , Realtor, WEICHERT, REALTORS® - Briotti Group
Serving northern New Haven and southeastern Litchfield Counties (Waterbury, Wolcott, Prospect, Naugatuck, Middlebury, Southbury, Watertown, Thomaston and Plymouth)
Call William James Walton, Sr. Real Estate Agent with WEICHERT, REALTORS® - Briotti Group (203) 558-7463 for help with your real estate needs -buying or selling - in Waterbury, Watertown, Wolcott, Middlebury, Southbury, Prospect, Naugatuck, Plymouth and Thomaston